Season of Docs
From GNU Radio
- This year (2019), Google's Season of Docs is providing paid technical writers to work with open source projects, in order to improve documentation!
- During the program, technical writers spend a few months working closely with an open source community. They bring their technical writing expertise to the project's documentation, and at the same time learn about the open source project and new technologies.
- The open source projects work with the technical writers to improve the project's documentation and processes. Together they may choose to build a new documentation set, or redesign the existing docs, or improve and document the open source community's contribution procedures and onboarding experience.
- The technical writer is very unlikely to have any experience with DSP and wireless comms, and may not even know how to code. But what we can do is have them do the GRC tutorials and as part of that process they will learn the basics of GNU Radio, and maybe gain some insights or ideas about how the documentation should be improved.
- Your organization must have at least two open source mentors for each technical writing project/technical writer that you plan to accept
- We will only ask for 1 technical writer, and Marc will be the mentor, with Marcus as backup
- The focus will be on the User Docs (1 page per block as well as usage manual) and tutorials