This page is a work in progress.
- 1 Manual Release Process Notes
- 1.1 Backporting
- 1.2 Change freeze
- 1.3 Changelog
- 1.4 Testing
- 1.5 Version change for release
- 1.6 Version change for continuation
- 1.7 Github release
- 1.8 Software signing
- 1.9 Notification
Manual Release Process Notes
Documenting the steps taken todo a release manually, in hopes that it can be automated.
Slow down changes
Around one week unless problems are found.
Sync/deconflict with other branches
Version change for release
Date and version
- Change CMakeLists.txt to MAJOR.API.ABI.PATCH. If a release candidate, PATCH `-rc0`format to help with sort order. For final version, PATCH is `0`
- Create PR with this change, title formatted like "Release v22.214.171.124-rc1"
- Merge release PR
- Sync local checkout for later comparison step
Version change for continuation
Skip if this is a RC version. The branch will stay linear until the final version is released.
Change CMakeLists.txt to MAJOR.API.ABI.git
Unreleased version number?
Tagging is done against a git clone of
firstname.lastname@example.org:gnuradio/gnuradio.git. Recommend keeping this in a separate directory, to avoid inadvertent pushes directly to the gnuradio repo.
git checkout <branch_name> git tag -u email@example.com <tag_name> -m '<tag_name>' git tag -v <tag_name> git push origin <tag_name>
This will use the latest signing key associated with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In Github, go to code, branch, and then release list (or tags, then hit releases)
- Draft a new release
- Select branch and enter release version from commit as a tag
- Title same as commit: "Release v..."
- Github creates a tar.gz and a zip
- Download these files immediately
- For 3.8, create variants with a -with-volk-X.Y.Z suffix
- Check out volk using
git submodule update --init
- Create tar.gz and zip files
- Volk versions
- Previous to 126.96.36.199, it was included in all releases
- 188.8.131.52 -with-volk variant includes v2.0.0
- 184.108.40.206 and later include both v2.0.0 and latest-stable variants
- Fedora requested we continue to include Volk for 3.8 to keep packaging consistent
- Check out volk using
Verify or create valid signing key
Download tar.gz and zip
If not done in release step
- Unpack each archive
- Diff against existing git checkout to verify, e.g., with meld. Expect minor differences due to git ignored files (e.g., `__pycache__`, `.vscode`)
- Keep the tar and zip files locally for a little while in case something comes up
- Create detacted signatures: `gpg --detach-sign --armor -u email@example.com filename`
- Verify signatures: `gpg --verify filename.asc`
- Keep the signatures locally for a little while in case something comes up
Upload signatures and public key
- On Github release page, edit release
- Click "attach binaries" or drag/drop files
- Note that the signing key should also be somewhere else where people can verify it
Takes care of itself.
Point to releases page, changelog page, ask for problem reports via email or issue tracker.
Add articles to the news section on the wiki https://github.com/gnuradio/hugo-website#how-to-add-stuff-to-the-website
Distros and other packagers