Notes about the video meetings
Saturday 17 October 2020, 20:00 UTC
Subject: Simulation example of FSK
Presenter: Barry Duggan KV4FV
After some technical difficulties with Big Blue Button, we moved to Zoom and succeeded in doing the planned agenda:
- Brief walk-through of Simulation example: FSK
- Presentation of gr-RTTY-basics package
- Audio loopback demo
- Live Over-the-Air demo
The time (20:00 UTC) proved to be too late for participants East of Greenwich, and we did not capture a recording, so a repeat was scheduled for 7 November.
Saturday 7 November 16:00 UTC
The meeting followed the agenda above. There was a minor audio difficulty with the loopback, but I proceeded to present the Over-the-Air demo successfully.
View the presentation on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HmbRk-UG8Q
Saturday 12 December 2020 16:00 UTC
Subject: Transmit / Receive switching and station control
Presenter: Gavin Jacobs VE7GSJ
- Requirements for TX/RX switching
- VE7GSJ Solution (hardware & GNURadio Companion)
- Demo on 2m repeater
Thanks to Gavin for an excellent talk. It can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTp6vQk5MqE
16 January 2021 16:00 UTC
Subject: Using GRC to build radios: Make the flow graph work for you
Presenter: John Petrich W7FU
- Getting started with GRC
- Basic flow graph workspace organization
- Flow graph details
- Data flow problem solving
- Practical odds and ends for real radios
- Group discussion
Thank you to John for a very informative presentation. It can be seen at https://youtu.be/j8OeK7c_zAU
27 February 2021 16:00 UTC
Subject: A Look at Project 25 (P25) Digital Radio
Presenter: Aaron Rossetto, NI
Agenda: In this presentation, I will introduce Project 25 digital radio, with a strong emphasis on its use in North American public safety trunked radio systems, and to describe experiments monitoring and decoding P25 traffic using GNU Radio code.
- What is Project 25?
- A brief introduction to trunked radio
- Diving into the P25 protocol
- Packet framing and encapsulation
- Packet types
- GNU Radio and P25 decoding experiments
Presentation slides: Media:A_Look_at_Project_25_(P25)_Digital_Radio.pdf
Thank you to Aaron for an in-depth presentation. The video can be seen at https://youtu.be/9_Bb7g3_-7E
20 March 2021 16:00 UTC
Remember that Daylight Saving Time will have started in the U.S.
Subject: Ground Station Test Transceiver
Presenter: Ray Roberge WA1CYB
- What is this Ground Station Test Transceiver ?
- Architecture – Three Sections
- Receiver flowgraph
- Transmitter flowgraph
- Telemetry flowgraph
- GUI displayed with a ADALM Pluto SDR
- Over the Air results as received on a ETTUS B205mini on SDR-Console software
- Discussion on finer points of Packet telemetry
- Same flowgraph modified for UHD, Ettus B205mini and why you need to modify it
- QT display , GRC 3.8.2 / 3.8.0 minor issues noted
- Ground Station Test Transceiver.pdf
- These and other supporting files can be found at 
See the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F0DG03ij9k
8 May 2021 16:00 UTC
Subject: "Using GNU Radio during the 2017 Solar Eclipse"
Presenter: John Ackermann N8UR
The total solar eclipse in August, 2017, was the first opportunity for the "HamSci" community to get crowdsourced ionospheric data, looking for propagation changes as the eclipse occurred. There were several HamSci activities that weekend, including an Eclipse QSO Party. A number of hams monitored the bands looking for changes in frequency or amplitude as local totality approached and went.
I used SDRs and GNU Radio from my location in northern Michigan to record the entire 80, 40, 30, and 20 meter bands, as well as the entire AM broadcast band, for 8 hours. The result was nearly 1 TB of data.
I'll show the equipment configuration, some of the GNU Radio tools used both to capture and post-process the data, and some results of the experiment.
Thanks to John for a very informative presentation. The video can be seen at `https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9yyXW_kmgs`
26 June 2021
In conjunction with HAMRADIOnline / SDRA / European Radio Days
Subject: "Understanding ZMQ Blocks"
Presenter: Barry Duggan KV4FV
Based on the Understanding ZMQ Blocks tutorial.
Also a separate video chat session for all interested hams!
10 July 2021 16:00 UTC
Subject: "Using gnuradio for amateur radio measurements"
Presenter: Tom McDermott N5EG
- Receiver Noise Figure
- Exploring Receiver Dynamic range measurements
- FFT scalloping error considerations.
20 - 24 September 2021
GRCon21 in Charlotte, North Carolina (Also virtual)
See https://events.gnuradio.org/event/8/ for details.
days and times of these events are not yet scheduled:
- Lightning Talk: "A Newbie's Guide to the GNU Radio Universe"
- Talk: "Modular transmit / receive station control"
- Hosted amateur radio breakout session Friday afternoon
Questions and Suggestions for future meetings
- The Ham Radio chat room on Matrix is available for follow-up and continuing discussion.
- server: https://chat.gnuradio.org
- or via the Homeserver in a matrix app: gnuradio.matrix.ungleich.cloud
- room: #HamRadio:gnuradio.org
- Questions about meetings also can be sent to "email@example.com"
- Transmit hardware to operate below 50 MHz.
- amateur radio satellites
- Contact ISS
- EME - moon bounce communications
- How to implement JS8, JS8-Call, and FT8 in GR
- An in-depth walkthrough of GQRX
- video-chat troubleshooting session